Useful links for teachers
- Birmingham Conservatoire Birmingham, UK
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama Central London
- Leeds College of Music Leeds, UK
- London College of Music and Media Ealing, West London
- Royal Academy of Music Central London
- Royal College of Music Central London
- Royal Northern College of Music Manchester, UK
- Royal School of Church Music Dorking, Surrey
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Glasgow, Scotland
- Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama Cardiff, Wales
- Trinity College of Music Greenwich, South-East London
- BBC Music A comprehensive guide to music of all genres and a wealth of educational material related to music.
- CLIC Sargent's Practice-athon CLIC Sargent's Practice-a-thon is a fantastic means of encouraging more children to become involved in music and a great way to raise money for your school, music or youth group.
- Musical Trixstar Musical Trixstar is a versatile, fun board game ideal for complete beginners or musicians striving to pass theory exams.
- Piano-Accompaniments.com A wide selection of piano accompaniment tracks available as MP3 files or on CD. Ideal as a practice aid for instrumentalists of all ages, all works are recorded by a professional accompanist.
Instrument specific sites
- The Guitar Handrest Company Produces FlexiRest, a unique and easy-to-use guitar hand and arm rest. Particularly useful teaching aid for guitar tutors.
- UK-Guitar-Teachers.com | UK-wide directory of guitar and bass tutors UK-wide directory of guitar and bass tutors. Free to register as a teacher.
- Calisthenics for the Singing Voice Description of teaching system and presentation of the development of the calisthenic programme based on research into the connection between singing and natural (ie valveless) trumpet techniques.
- Education Scotland Education Scotland has launched Learn Listening Online, an interactive resource for students of NQ music to improve their knowledge and listening skills.
- musicteach.org.uk Directory of UK music teachers which also acts as a constantly updated source of information on specialist music sites. Free downloadable music material and reference material also available.
- The Tutor Pages The Tutor Pages is a new tutor directory which helps music teachers maintain a higher wage by inviting them to specify their own rates and then justify them by writing a short article related to their expertise. The hundreds of articles written by tutors have also made it both a helpful and fascinating site to browse. The Tutor Pages lists teachers of all musical instruments across every musical style. It also covers academic subjects and languages at all levels, from the early years to higher education. Other topics range from business skills to reiki and advanced motoring.
- www.musicleader.net Free online resource for people in any role working in music with children and young people.
- AOTOS Association of Teachers of Singing
- Arts Council England National development agency for the arts.
- Clarinet & Saxophone Society Society with members in over 30 countries for everyone with an interest in the clarinet or saxophone.
- The Dalcroze Society UK Offers a crucial and highly contemporary method of understanding music through movement. Relevant to musicians, teachers and anyone working in the field of performance.
- EPTA European Piano Teachers' Association
- ERTA European Recorder Teachers' Association
- ESTA European String Teachers' Association
- FMS Federation of Music Services
- IAJE International Association for Jazz Education
- Incorporated Society of Musicians UK professional body for musicians, including teachers.
- IRMT Institute of Registered Music Teachers of New Zealand
- ISME - International Society for Musical Education ISME is a worldwide service platform for music educators who want their profession to be taken seriously by educators in other disciplines, by politicians and policy makers, by international organisations that promote culture, education, conservation and durable development of cultural heritage.
- Jazz Services Promoting and supporting the development of jazz in the UK.
- MEC Music Education Council
- MENC The National Association for Music Education (USA)
- MIA Music Industries Association
- MMA Music Masters and Mistresses Association
- MTNA Music Teachers National Association (USA)
- Music for Youth Providing educational and performance opportunities for groups of young musicians through Regional and National Festivals and the Schools Proms.
- Musicians' Union Union for the music profession.
- NAME National Association of Music Educators
- NAYO National Association of Youth Orchestras
- NZSME New Zealand Society for Music Education
- Pianoforte Tuners' Association The Pianoforte Tuners' Association is the professional body of Pianoforte Tuners.
- Richmond Music Trust Richmond Music Trust offers music education opportunities for those in and around the London Borough of Richmond. RMT also offers a Music Therapy facility.
- Scottish Association for Music Education The website for the Scottish Association for Music Education.
- Sing Up - Help Kids Find Their Voice Sing Up is the Music Manifesto National Singing Programme, produced by Youth Music, The Sage Gateshead, AMV-BBDO and Faber Music and supported by Government.
- SMA Schools Music Association
- WebProjects Internet Marketing
- Youth Music Funding a diverse range of music-making programmes, providing opportunities for children and young people up to the age of 18 throughout England.
- C. Harvey Publications We publish and sell cello exercises: technique and studies for all levels, including finger exercises, octaves, scale studies, and thumb position.
- Classic FM The UK's largest commercial classical music radio station. Its website has news, events, information about arts partners and competitions.
- Early Music FAQ
- First Tutors Music First Tutors Music provides a free platform for music teachers to find work locally. Students looking for help with music exams can find dedicated tutors that provide private tuition for a wide range of instruments.
- GMN Arts Network
- Music Teachers.co.uk
- MusicPartners.co.uk MusicPartners.co.uk enables people to find partners to learn, perform, compose or appreciate classical music.
- Open Colleges lesson plans offer a vast area of online music resources and downloadable teaching and learning material from different sources on the web. Materials range from kindergarten to adult lessons.
- soundgenerator.com The Essential Resource For Music - Music education & industry directories including music teachers, recording studios, music & record shops, publishers & record companies. A wealth of information including music news, features, concert & CD reviews.
- String Pedagogy Several articles on different aspects relating to high strings (natural intonation, vibrato, physiological preparation, etc).
- Teaching Ideas
- The Music Land
- Tutor Hunt Tutor Hunt enables students and personal tutors to locate each other through a completely free online service.
- Tutora Tutora helps parents and students find expert, local music tutors for private one-to-one tuition in their own homes, covering all instruments and ages.
- William and Gayle Cook Music Library
Specialist music schools
- Chethams School of Music Britain's largest specialist music school. Co-educational, for 280 pupils aged 7 - 18. Manchester, UK.
- Dartington College of Arts Devon, South-West England.
- St Mary's Music School Co-educational school for pupils aged 9 - 19. Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Tring Park School for the Performing Arts Co-educational school for 250 pupils with a special ability for dance, drama or music. Tring, Hertfordshire, North-West of London.
- The Brit School Croydon, South London.
- The British Kodly Academy A registered charity whose purpose is to promote the advancement of music education in accordance with the principles and practices of Zoltan Kodaly.
- The Purcell School Co-educational school for 170 pupils aged from 7 - 18. Bushey, Hertfordshire, North-West of London.
- The Yehudi Menuhin School Founded by Yehudi Menuhin in 1963. Co-educational string and piano pupils aged 8 - 18. Surrey, South-West of London.
- Wells Cathedral School Co-educational school for pupils from 3 - 18. Somerset, South-West England.
Specialist music shops
- Arts Alive! ARTS Alive! is the outcome of a QCA curriculum development project set up to identify ways in which the contribution of the arts to pupils' education can be maximised.
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport The government department responsible for policy on the arts and the music industry.
- Office for Standards in Education Ofsted is a non-ministerial government department responsible for the school inspection system.
- Qualifications and Curriculum Authority Responsible for maintaining and developing the school curriculum and associated assessments, and to accredit and monitor qualifications in schools, colleges and at work.
- Teacher Training Agency Career support for trainee teachers.
Translations for this page are available in: English, Español, Italiano, 简体中文