Booking at a Private Visit – step-by-step guide for Permitted Applicants
A guide covering everything from booking exams to receiving results for:
- face-to-face instrumental and singing exams
- paper-based Music Theory exams (Grades 6-8)
- Create your account if you don’t have one already.
- For Music Theory exams (Grades 6 to 8) check booking periods and exam dates.
- Make sure you have the venue code from the Visit Organiser and know the closing date for booking – 28 days before the visit start date for instrumental and singing exams.
- Have all your candidate information ready:
- Name - as it should appear on the mark form and certificate. This must exactly match the name on any candidate ID document needed for the exam. Find out about candidate ID.
- Date of birth
- ABRSM Contact ID – for candidates who have been entered before using our new online service. Find out about Contact IDs
- Subject and grade or level
- Any specific needs access requirements or reasonable adjustments
- Any alternative ‘presented by’ name
- Email address for the candidate (or parent/carer) – optional for Private Visit bookings. Find out why we ask for a candidate email address.
- Log in to your account and select ‘Private Visit’.
- Enter the venue code supplied by the Visit Organiser.
- Select the visit and enter your candidate and exam details (including any access requirements or reasonable adjustments and any alternative ‘presented by’ names). You can enter these directly into our exam booking service or you can use our bulk upload option to add a list of candidates. Find out more about bulk upload here.
- Check you booking summary and pay for your exams.
- We will send you an email to confirm your booking and payment.
You can add candidates:
- up to 28 days before the visit start date for instrumental and singing exams
- during the booking period (up to the published closing date) for Music Theory exams.
Make sure all details are correct before confirming and paying for your exams.
- Private Visit confirmation – we confirm the visit once booking has closed. We then email you to let you know that you can log in to view exam dates and times. Candidates with an account also receive a confirmation email.
- Final dates and times – the Visit Organiser may rearrange the timetable for instrumental and singing exams and will confirm final dates and times with you.
- Questions about the visit – if you or your candidates have any questions about the visit, such as asking about changing an exam time, please contact your Visit Organiser.
- Cancelling an exam - applicants can cancel an exam through their account. If you cancel up to 28 days before the visit start date for instrumental and singing exams, and before the closing date for Music Theory exams, we refund the full fee. Find out about cancelling exams.
- Amending a candidate’s booking - you can make some small changes after you’ve paid for the booking. Find out about amending candidate details.
- Results and certificates - we email applicants when results are ready to view online. This is usually within a week of the exam for instrumental and singing exams and around four weeks after the exam for paper-based Music Theory exams, subject to quality assurance checks.
Candidates with an account will also receive a results email seven days after the applicant.
We send certificates to the applicant by post. Find out about results and certificates.
- Appeals and feedback – our policies and guidance for making appeals or sending feedback are available here.